Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Feeling Better Than James Brown


I feel alone today.
I feel good.
I feel really good.

How do you feel? Proud? New? Sluggish? Statistically speaking, you're probably feeling better. Or at least good. Possibly powerless. But probably not. And it would seem more people feel bad when it rains than when it snows.

I feel comfortable and my shirt looks cute.
I don't feel like being stared at.
I feel that I finally have the perfect tools to do my job.

How do I know all this? Because, this being the future and all, people no longer just feel their feeling. They blog them. And you can feel reassured that when you blog your feelings, someone is listening. Or at least something. Because each time someone rests their head on the internet's shoulder and and utters an "I feel" or "I'm feeling," We Feel Fine hears it. And it creates a tiny colored circle from it, which then joins a swirling sea of tiny colored circles in a fascinating infographic of the emotional state of the internet. Happy, long winded folks are big yellow circles. Sad terse ones are blue and tiny. Click on a circle, and you'll unveil how they feel, along with the age, gender, location, and local weather of the feeler of the feeling.

I feel free to be me when I'm with Bonnie.
2 Hours ago from a 38 year old male in Alberta, Canada, when it was rainy.


Imagine looking down from the top of a tall building, stopping one of the ant-sized humans below, and asking how they're feeling. Imagine getting a response other than fine.

I feel truly grateful to have had such a relaxing afternoon.
I feel full of grace.
I feel brave because I like the curly wurly plant with spikes.

We Feel Fine, a remarkably vivid and engaging interactive project by Jonathon Harris and Sep Kamvar, is completely captivating. Sifting through the contextless comments of all free-feeling males, aged 20-29. Discovering what people are so glum about on a sunny day such as this. It also allows you to see the circles arranges in bar-graphs, sorted by most prevalent feelings, to see a montage of photos posted alongside the feelings, or simply watch a steady stream of sentences roll by.

Sometimes, you have no idea what the person is talking about, you can still sympathize.
I still feel like I could have handled things a bit better.

And sometimes, you just have no idea.
I feel excited because the gardeners told me about the gold.

Sometimes, though, you know exactly what they're talking about.
I am feeling jittery from the coffee.

Give it a spin. Chances are, you'll feel pretty good about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment